What are Concrete Wall Forms?
So, what are concrete wall forms? In order for us to grasp what they are we need to first look at what concrete forms are. So what are concrete forms? Simply put, these are solid barriers that hold concrete in place. Concrete – building material made from mixing sand, broken stone, gravel, cement and water- is spread into these forms in its semi-solid state to form particular shapes. Concrete forms serve other purposes as well such as facilitating insulation of buildings and providing a holder for decorative effects.
That said; judging from the above description we can term concrete wall forms as concrete forms that hold the weight of concrete on walls. They’re also responsible for enabling walls to stand erect.
Buying Concrete Wall Forms – Things to Keep In Mind
Here’s some information to help architect enthusiasts learn more about these forms especially what should be considered before purchasing them.
- Bending strength- This is perhaps the most significant factor of them all. Ever seen a building that started sagging and suddenly collapsed and wondered what was happening? Now you know. The architects didn’t pay enough attention when considering these forms and the weight of the concrete slabs.
- Moisture retention – Modern buildings are designed to last for several centuries. With that being said; this cannot be possible if the forms used have high moisture retention ability. While it’s true that concrete slabs are pretty dense, with time and continued exposure to rain and humid conditions – some moisture does penetrate through. If wrong forms were used, then the life span of the building is greatly reduced.
- Formwork system – This refers to the structure of the forms. How are the forms structured? The structure and measurements are very important when it comes to building walls. In most cases the formwork and dimensions of these forms are related (directly or indirectly) and hence should be scrutinized closely especially if the wall being constructed will be used as a holder for decorative effects.
- Manufacturer – Manufacturers are associated with different qualities so reputation is at play here. The longest serving manufacturers selling concrete wall forms are usually the most sought after. While this is the case most of the time, upcoming form manufactures should not be ignored either. Different manufactures adopt different technologies and it is important to investigate and consider all your options before you decide to settle on a particular producer.
- Warranty – This is probably not talked about much in architecture and construction but warranties play a very significant role especially where concrete wall forms are concerned. Start by checking whether a given manufacturer offers them. They’re not cheap so never settle to buy them from a producer who is not willing to guarantee their quality. It is also not advisable to purchase them from the internet as you will not have a chance to examine them until they’ve arrived at your door step.
Can I Build Concrete Wall Forms Myself?
Yes you can. You can do pretty much anything you set your mind to. The question here should rather be, “should” I build these forms myself? The answer is a resounding NO. Leave it to the experts. There’s a reason why they’re called specialists – because they specialize in this type of work.
While you might be tempted by the idea of doing it yourself just to save cash, remember that the end result might be catastrophic. Its better that you simply buy them from a recognized dealer or get an experienced contractor to help you out rather than taking the risk by following an online tutorial.